Everyone has a story to tell, here's mine sprinkled with some creative projects along the way.
Thank you for stopping by and I hope you come back again.



Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Butterfly Wall Decor Art + How To

Happy mid-week! I have noticed that since leaving the Glue Arts team, I haven't had the opportunity to do step by step tutorials and I'm missing it. I don't know about you but sometimes I understand the project better (and how to recreate it) when I see a "step by step how to" on it. So with that here's a recent project I made....
 
Butterfly Wall Decor Art
first off,  I'd like to share why I wanted to create this. Lately, I've been compiling lots of items that are recyclable. One of these items are cardboard backings. I have about 8 sheets now and I wanted to make something pretty with it. So hence, this wall decor idea came about.

So to create this project you'll need:
Papers (Cardstock and Pattern papers) I used some Jenni Bowlin Studio distressed cardstocks from Core'dinations
Chipboard Shapes (mine is butterfly chipboard from Jenni Bowlin Studio)
Spray mist (I used three colors that have a fall hue on them and they are all from Tattered Angels)
Pearl pen (Copper from Viva Decor)
Buttons and Twine (button from stash, twine from Doodlebug Design Inc.)
Adhesive, Circle punch, Cutting Mat and blade, Ruler and an empty deep box

So to start with this project, I misted my butterflies first. I used three different colors (olive vine, Peach delight and candy apple red). I use a deep shipping box when I mist so that my paint won't go on anything else in my craft table. Let it dry completely before touching.

By measuring the size of my butterfly chipboards, I got an idea of how wide and long I need my cardboard foundation to be. I then cut the board to size with a craft knife and cutting mat.

Next I distressed this blue butterfly textured cardstock to make the butterfly accent come out. Isn't it beautiful?

Then I adhered the board on the back of the cardstock, then trim the cardstock to fit the board.

After the butterflies have dried completely, I start putting together the design of my wall decor. This is my favorite part. I'm all about layering. As you can see, I added a round journaling block paper (also from Jenni Bowlin Studio) in the center before I added the green butterfly to make it more stand out and then I grounded my artwork with strips of red textured paper. After moving things around a bit, I was happy with the look and then I start adhering them to the board.

I chose to adhere the green butterfly with foam adhesive to create dimension between the butterflies. After I added a title and some circle centers. After looking at it for a little bit, I wanted the edges of the butterflies to have a line around it so I pulled out my copper pearl pen and added this texture paint around the edges of the butterflies. Since I've already adhered my elements, I was extra careful while adding the texture paint around the shapes so it doesn't get anywhere else in my project that I don't want it to go on.

I then added some buttons on the edges of the red strips. Next I punched out a couple of holes on the top then threaded some twine, tied the ends in the back and it was ready to be hung.
 
So here's the look of the finished project...


and some more close ups...

Thanks for letting me share and if you happen to recreate this project, please share a link. I wanna see your creation :)

Till next time,
Grace

No comments: